Wednesday, October 04, 2006

1 Nephi 6

“For the fullness of mine intent is that I may persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob and be saved.”

Is this not the purpose of all Gospel discussion? When we read the scriptures, all the prophets’ intent was to convince people that there is a God and that we need to keep the commandments. When we discuss the scriptures, we do so so that we might more fully understand gospel principals and live in harmony with God’s commands. We are intending to persuade others to believe.

When we share our testimonies, we do so under the premise that we might be the means of strengthening others’ testimonies so that they might more fully keep the commandments.

This journal serves the same purpose. If my views on how I can apply the scriptures to my life might help others, then it is worth it.

“Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world.”

So many blogs and even LDS blogs discuss topics that seem so pointless and do not accomplish much. They do not strengthen one’s testimony; rather they tend more to detract from the Spirit. I’m writing this journal in part to counter the pervasive negativity on the Internet. If my words can help one person to feel the Spirit and desire to be better, then the time I put into these thoughts will be worth it.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Don, your comments have really helped my testimony grow and have inspired me to read the Book of Mormon again. Keep up the great work!