Isaiah prophesies the location of Christ's ministry. After this prophesy, he says, "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light; they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined" (v. 2). Christ is that great light. Without Christ, the world would be in complete darkness with no hope of having light. But Christ is our light and our hope. If we believe him, then we will never have to walk in darkness.
Unto us a child is born
Later on, Isaiah writes of the birth of Christ and some of the titles he will take upon himself.
- The government shall be upon his shoulder - when Christ comes to reign upon the earth, he will be the government.
- Wonderful - is not the Savior of all mankind wonderful?
- Counselor - his whole life is dedicated to counseling us and showing us the way of happiness.
- The Mighty God - self-explanatory
- The Everlasting Father - he is the father of the Earth, the universe and our spiritual rebirth.
- The Prince of Peace - if we all truly lived Christ's teachings, then Satan would have significantly less power and the world would be at peace. Indeed, when Christ reigns on the earth, we will have peace for a thousand years.