Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2 Nephi 3

December 17, 2006 - Original Post

A Choice Seer

Lehi tells his son Joseph about their forefather Joseph who was sold into Egypt. Through Joseph, many nations are blessed. From Joseph’s posterity would come Joseph Smith.

We learn many things that Joseph Smith would do. Verse 12 talks about how the Book of Mormon and the Bible would be joined together to confound false doctrines and to establish the truth. This prophecy has come true. Today, millions of copies of the Bible and Book of Mormon can be found scattered around the world. In some sets, they are even bound together as one book.

We learn that Joseph will declare repentance unto the Lamanites. Shortly after the Church was established, missionaries were sent to the Native Americans. Today, missionaries are found all over the world declaring repentance. Even I was able to take part in the fulfillment of this revelation as I served in Central American among the ancestors of the Mayans. The church in Central and South America truly is blossoming like a rose (D&C 49:24).

In summary, Joseph would “do much good, both in word and in deed” (v. 24).

Personal Application

There is not much in this chapter that can be directly applied to my life. What strengthens my testimony when I read this chapter is that I have a chance to reflect on the life and mission of Joseph Smith. The work that he did on this earth is really quite miraculous when you consider all that he did.

The greatest testimony I have of the Prophet Joseph Smith is the translation of the Book of Mormon. I firmly believe that he received the gold plates from Moroni and that he translated them through the power of God. Every time I read the Book of Mormon and consider how it came to be, I know it in my heart that no one man wrote this book. It was written my many different prophets and compiled by Mormon and Moroni. Then by the power of God, Joseph Smith translated the book.

And just as verse 12 so wonderfully states, the Book of Mormon and the Bible have indeed grown together to establish the truth once again.

January 11, 2012 - Addition

2 Nephi 3:9-10 caught my attention today.

If you were to look at a timeline, Joseph of Egypt comes first, then Moses, then Lehi and Joseph (son of Lehi) and then Joseph Smith.

2 Nephi 3:7 begins Joseph of Egypt's prophesy about Joseph Smith and Moses.

In verse 9, he says "And he [Joseph Smith] shall be great like unto Moses, whom I have said I would raise up unto you, to deliver my people, O house of Israel."

In verse 10 he continues, "And Moses will I raise up, to deliver thy people out of the land of Egypt."

So, according to the Book of Mormon, Joseph of Egypt not only say the Israelites being held captive, but he saw and knew the name of Moses.

The Maxwell Institute has a nice little article about this prophesy: "Joseph's Prophesy of Moses and Aaron"

More info on this link as well.

No comments: