Saturday, September 08, 2007

3 Nephi 17

The Home

After delivering his sermon, Jesus instructs the people to go to their homes and ponder the things that he taught them that day. He also tells them to ask God to help them understand his teachings and also to help them prepare for further instruction and teaching.

I find it very interesting that Jesus tells them to ponder his teachings in their homes. The home is the central location where teachings are internalized and learned. In our homes we read the scriptures, ponder, meditate and pray. The home is the most sacred place for our souls. The entry for temple in the Bible Dictionary states, “Only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness.”

Christ Delays

After commanding them to return to their homes, Jesus looked at the multitude and saw that they had tears in their eyes. Christ demonstrated perfect compassion and invited the sick and afflicted to come unto him so that he could heal them. He healed every one of them. What I learn from this is that Christ could have continued with his “work” by visiting the lost tribes. But he delayed his visit to them and stayed with the Nephites a little longer. I too must realize that when the need arises and I have a choice between my “work” and giving compassionate service, I should do as Christ did.

Christ Heals

Christ not only healed those in Jerusalem, the Americas and undoubtedly where the Lost Tribes lived, but he can still heal any of us today. I've often wondered if Christ were to visit me today how I could be healed. I've always have had problems with my right leg and my back's alignment. I try to imagine how it would be to be perfectly healed … no more pain or worries about this comparatively small ailment. I think I would have the same reaction as the Nephites … I would worship Him and kiss his feet.

More importantly, Christ can heal our souls. We all have sinned and have damaged our souls in some manner. Christ can take away that pain and emotional scars that sin has left behind. Of course we have to believe and have faith in Christ in order for him to heal us. Do we really believe that we can emotionally be healed if we repent and seek Christ's healing?

For more on Christ as a healer, read Russell M. Nelson, “Jesus Christ—the Master Healer,” Ensign, Nov 2005, 85.

Christ Weeps

"And they arose from the earth, and he said unto them: Blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full.

"And when he had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them.

"And when he had done this he wept again." (3 Nephi 17:20-22)

No comments: