Monday, March 15, 2010

Stiff Necked and High Heads

I've been immersing myself in the Book of Mormon again.  In an effort to take my reading 'up a knotch' I've decided to read 18 pages a day.  It takes me about 30 minutes to read 18 pages and that's about right for meeting the commandment of reading the Book of Mormon 30 minutes a day.  If you're mathematically astute, you'll know that 18 pages a day equates to reading the Book of Mormon in 30 days.  My short-term goal is to read it 3 times in 3 months.

The first go-around is just to get re-immersed in it.  The 2nd time will focus on Christ in the Book of Mormon.  I'm using a "missionary copy" of the Book of Mormon, so marking it up however I want won't be so "costly."  The 3rd go-around will be a focus on personal application and revelation ... I'll read it through the prism of my current problems and challenges to get answers and direction.

Anyway - on to my comment about the term 'stiff necks' and 'high heads.'  I know they mean obstinateness and pride.  But as I was reading it today in Jacob 2:13, it hit me ... if you have a stiff neck, you can't move your head.  If you can't move your head, you won't see others as easily.  In a spiritual sense, if you can't (or won't) move your head, then you will not see others who are in need and therefore you will not be able to serve others.  You are focused on your own personal appearance and status rather than focusing on serving others.  I don't know why it took me so long to make that connection, but it finally hit home to me this time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome goals! Good luck with them.

grego